Friday, April 16, 2010

i've really branched out recently

As of late, I have been trying my hardest to break out of my shell and move from my comfort zone - hence: this blog. I am someone who would much rather stay in on a Friday night wearing %100 cotton pj's and watch reruns of Real Housewives than go downtown. Conversation has always been work to me - If I dont have to make it, I dont want to.

Over the past few weeks, I have tried hard to reconnect with old friends, make new friends and cultivate my great friendships that I already have. They are what makes me flourish. This realization may have come for a few reasons:
1. I am moving out of a house full of friends to go on my own - for the first time in 6 1/2 years.
2. My sister is getting married NEXT WEEKEND and moving to Houston. I've always had my sister in the same city with me. I dont know what is hitting me more - that she is going to be a wife or that she is going to be a Texan.
3. I have been splitting my time between Nashville and Washington, meaning two things: I have to make friends from scratch in Washington AND I have to make my time in Nashville really count since I am not there as much.

All of that to say this: I have really gotten good at conversation by throwing myself out there. In the past, if I had a dinner date with someone, I would think about what we would talk about, take mental notes of topics to bring up and get figitey if there was any silence at the table. Now, I am able to let conversation flow. I have been able to talk about my problems, my joys and current events with my friends. I've also come to love having many friends in different shapes and sizes.

A couple of great lunches and dinners that I've had lately:
- my dear Abby Aleece: We will always have that connection and no matter how much time goes by between seeing each other, things are still the same between us.
- Hallie, Grant and Paul: I had them over to my apartment to grill out on the roof - even though it was raining and the grill would not work :(
- Daniel: My weekly lunches with him keep me laughing and plugged into the TN Hill - particularly State & Local.
- Brent: We hadnt had lunch in nearly 6 months. Its always good to connect with him and catch up with the House Republican issues - and his upcoming wedding!
- George, Jr.: We ate at The Source, right below my apartment. It was delicious and great conversation. Always good to hear another Southern voice in DC.
- Reagan: I LOVE getting lunch with her and talking about life - if I dont have to do the "tuck and roll" to get out of her Sparrow.
- Wes: A friend who is wanting to get into politics and already in campaigns full throttle. Our dad's are very similar, so we get good laughs at understanding where each other are coming from.
- Bob & Bernie: 2 partners and 2 Democrats. Both make fabulous dinner dates and great conversation.
- Tom: my boss-man. I am SO BLESSED to have such a fun boss and such a good relationship with him. We have dinner together at least once a week to simply talk about life.
- Lauren: I love working out with her - and even better catching up with her. We have a greaat connection that has weathered many battles!
- Linda: a lady who was in the Carter administration. She is a facinating lady with an intriguing story.

I am working on booking up more lunches and dinners in Nashville and Washington. Want to get together?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to be a part of it Biz! We'll do lunch again after you've caught up with everyone.

    ReplyDelete